Are you sprinting to finish summer reading? Did you have fun with Arbordale’s summer activities? And the big question, are you ready for school to start again?
If summer reading didn’t go as planned, here are a few tips and tricks to make reading fun in the new school year.
- Always have books available. Make trips to the library a regular part of your weekly routine. Discover new books and classic favorites.
- Continue reading daily and listen to your child read. For shy children, have them read to a sibling, the dog, the cat, the goldfish, or their favorite toy.
- Literacy is not just reading but writing too! Have crayons, pencils, markers and paper available. Write letters and help them to mimic your writing. Have your child draw and tell you a story as they illustrate it.
- Ask your child questions about the stories. Get them to think about what they are reading in fun and different ways.
- Be a reader! Let your child see you reading or have quiet family reading time.
- Let children read for enjoyment.
- Talk to kids about what they are reading.
- Read the book before watching the movie
Test out these tips with Arbordale’s free Summer Reading ebooks that will be available through September 15th. And don’t forget we always have one free ebook of the month. In August we are going to the zoo with ‘Twas the Day Before Zoo Day!