When Charleston native and Post and Courier columnist Fran Hawk discovered Mt. Pleasant publisher Sylvan Dell, it was a match made in Lowcountry heaven. Now, just in time for fall, Sylvan Dell Publishing is set to release Hawk’s children’s picture book, Count Down to Fall, and this southern team is giving names to the natural world. “I think this book is a must for young children because it introduces the concept that everything in nature—just as every person—has a name,” said Hawk. “When we know a person, we know his family name. The same is true for trees and other aspects of nature. This book makes it fun for parents and children to learn the names of leaves together. It provides a beginning knowledge on which to build more knowledge and also introduces counting and autumn.”
Fran’s upcoming events in South Carolina:
• Tuesday, September 1, 9:00 AM, O’Quinn School, Mt. Pleasant, LAUNCH PARTY! Includes reading and educational activities, such as “Leaves to Eat,” “Leaves to Rub,” and MORE.
• Saturday, September 12, 11:00 AM, Barnes ad Noble, Mt. Pleasant, Storytime
• Saturday, September 12, 2:00 PM, Ravenous Reader, Charleston, Signing
• Friday, September 18, Wren Elementary School, Piedmont, School visit
• Saturday, September 26, Middleton Plantation, Charleston, Signing and crafts
Hawk is no stranger to the literary world. She is the Children’s Book Columnist at the Post and Courier. Count Down to Fall is her third book release, following The Story of the H.L. Hunley and Queenie’s Coin and Ten Tips for Raising Readers, in which Fran shares information about bringing children and books together. “My most favorite things are children, books, and writing,” said Hawk. “Writing children’s books is my dream come true, because it combines all three!”
For more information about the book, check out the book homepage, http://sylvandellpublishing.com/Count.php.